Wednesday, October 28

Blog Assignments: Readings and Intake Forms

Austin is distracting me with his tales of Freerunning and Tracing.

Nummer Einz: The Readings.
So I have officially decided that I am keeping my Field Guide and Easy Writer after I get out of Mister Andy's class; they're much too handy to sell. I will keep them forever. Anyhoo, I'm glad he assigned these readings. Never once in school has an instructor described the fundamentals of a research paper to a class of mine. Public education = shit. But I definitely learned a lot. I can't remember any of it right now lol, but it's just one of those things you refer back to during the process.
>>>INSERT>>>
Ok I totally forgot to blog on the actual readings, lol. Here it is: =]

Meet Joe Blog.
I have to admit, I've never thought of researching the history of such an obscure subject as the blog. A blog isn't one of those inventions that revolutionized the world like the printing press or the sock, but blogs do play a hefty role in Mr. Andy's class. Nevertheless, it was very interesting reading about the development of them=]
Note: remember Russ Kick. Because I'm pretty sure that my mother follows his blog lol
My grandmother is watching The Holiday and Jude Law is extremely distracting so I'll wrap this up.
Blogs are the voice of the little guy, the average joe. They are so important today because they provide a way for every person to express themselves. Not everybody can handle the life of the struggling artist. That's how I think about it.

Homeless on Campus.
I am so glad this article was picked for this text. Sure, it was a great source during my group's research project on runaways and juvi/student homelessness, but it was truly moving. It was written before the horrible recession. Hearing some of the stories of the students interviewed really made me think about how many more people have been affected, even at a smaller college town like Cookeville.
All together, I think the Field Guide provides a student with more than just a great learning resource. The stories chosen as examples always manage to open my eyes to important issues that don't get exposed.

...............

Nummer Zwei: Churched-Up Intake Forms
When Debbie originally commented on the two different intake forms, I was astonished to find myself insulted by the fact that the church-based form asked religious questions. I am not a religious person; far from it. I call myself a spiritualist, because I believe in spirituality, but not in organized religion. Anything with some kind of organized hierarchy is not good for Miss Kati. Back on track... When Viktor Kline came to class to talk about Chartwell's, he commented on his activism in assisting the homeless of Putnam County. He said there are many people who refuse money and food if there is a bible, or even some God-related message, in the hands of the donator. Many just won't accept help from a religious establishment. But WHY?? I mean it's help... Maybe after all of their struggles, they don't believe in a divine being of made love. They have no more hope. Or maybe they're just like me. The point is, any information that is asked of a needy individual on an intake form has to do with a)personal information for record and/or b)factors that affect the help they'll recieve. Debbie, a person who does what she does for personal religious reasons, doesn't even ask of this on her form. Maybe this does have to do with the fact that Helping Hands is government-funded, and if she could have it her way she'd ask religious questions. I don't know.

I would really like to fill that form out. Dangit. Well, the worst they could do is tell me they can't help me because my income is too high, right? One day I will do it. Just because it bothers me that much.


Well. My brain has been overrun with homeless peoples' problems and potential solutions, and I think it's time for bed. OF course, I have a fitting in Livingston in the morning so I'm driving there tonight and spending time with my man... so sleep won't come for a while 8(
8)

Peace-Raisins!

No comments:

Post a Comment